PREP : 10 Min COOK : 15 Min TOTAL TIME: 25 Min YIELD: 2
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into small cubes (roughly 2 cups of uncooked chicken).
- 1/2 cup mexican blend cheese.
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped.
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika.
- 1–2 cloves garlic, minced.
- 4,8 inch soft flour tortillas.
- 4 1/2 ounce can chopped or diced green chiles, drained.
- 16 ounce can, fat free refried beans.
- 1 tablespoon cumin.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder.
- olive oil and cooking spray for cooking.
- salt and pepper to taste.
- guacamole, sour cream, and salsa for serving (optional).
DirectionsPreheat oven to 500 °F. In a cast iron skillet, heat oil on medium heat. Add chopped chicken and onion and simmer until chicken is fully cooked through, about (6-8 min).
Mix in the chopped green chiles, garlic, and spices and let simmer for (2 min), stirring occasionally. Transfer filling to a bowl, and stir in cheese until mixed throughout. Set the skillet aside for baking.
Lay out the tortillas and evenly spread two heaping tablespoons of refried beans down the center of each tortilla. Divide the chicken filling down the center of each of the tortillas as well.
Fold in the top and bottom of the tortilla and roll into a tight burrito, ensuring the ends stay closed. Place on a baking sheet or back in the skillet with the seam at the bottom so the chimichangas stay tightly wrapped. Give the tops of the chimichangas a quick spray with cooking spray.
⑤ Transfer to the oven and bake on the top rack for (7-8 min) or until the tops of the chimichangas start to brown. Serve immediately with guacamole, sour cream or salsa.